Senior Scientist, Catalysis
Reporting to the Vice President Catalysis and working under the supervision of the Team Leader Catalysis, the Senior Scientist will be responsible for proposing, planning, executing, and reporting experimental programs including catalyst application, development, characterization, and testing toward the goal of new/improved commercially viable catalysts and catalytic processes.
The Senior Scientist should have a PhD degree in physical chemistry or surface science and strong knowledge of organic chemistry. Responsibilities include an industrial approach to selecting, testing and improving heterogeneous catalysis, and industrial approaches to analytical methods used for heterogeneous catalysts. In addition to performing research on assigned projects, the Senior Scientist is expected to interact effectively with other scientists, application engineers, and business people within the company. The Senior Scientist will promote a strong health, safety and environment culture on site and within the team.
- Select and test and improve heterogeneous catalysts;
- Design and execute laboratory experimentation in support of process definition and optimization;
- Key areas of expertise include industrial analytical methods used for heterogeneous catalysts;
- Optimize and Integrate Catalytic Steps into Manufacturing Processes; understand the effects of upstream chemistry on the catalytic process and understanding of scale effects for manufacturing implementation;
- Understanding of heterogeneous catalyst poisoning and regeneration;
- Champion the utilization of technology to efficiently monitor and control processes, improving safety, quality, and productivity;
- Explore and foster emerging technologies that may be applied to accomplishing the above responsibilities.
- PhD in Physical Chemistry or Surface Science with 10 plus years relevant work experience in industry;
- Broad understanding of heterogeneous catalytic reactions and awareness of current state-of-the-art;
- Analysis/problem assessment skills communication skills (oral and written);
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute strong experimental plans;
- Experience with continuous processing;
- Experience with mathematical / kinetic modeling of chemical reactors;
- Teamwork/interpersonal skills;
- Will relocate to the Houston, Texas area if not already living there;
- Able to travel some in USA and outside the country.