Reporting to the Operations Senior Manager, the DSP Engineer will oversee the downstream operations at the Sarnia plant. This would include all components of the manufacturing flow including (crystallization and drying). He/she acts as a technical resource for plant operations personnel, applying technical skills within the production work process to optimize plant operations, resolve plant problems and enable safe and environmentally acceptable production of low cost, quality products. The Engineer will promote a strong health, safety and environment culture on site and within the team.
- Participate in and provide support during construction, pre-commissioning, commissioning and testing activities of new projects and facilities;
- Develop, implement and monitor control systems for all components of the manufacturing flow;
- Work closely with the Project Team and the Research Scientists at the R&D laboratory to resolve process problems;
- Develop operating procedures for coordination of all functions under his/her responsibilities;
- Participate in technical advising and training of plant personnel prior to the start-up;
- Assist management in all other required business areas.
- Responsible for all applicable downstream operations process (i.e. product recovery, product analytics, process equipment and process control technology) in operations;
- Oversee the operational protocol for the process and ensure that operational practice matches procedure;
- Participate in technical advising and training of plant personnel;
- Ensure that the downstream process operates consistently (i.e. is in control) and is capable of meeting quality and business objectives;
- Demonstrate capacity improvement, cost reduction, quality improvement and yield improvement within the downstream operations process;
- Plan, develop, organize, direct, manage and evaluate (jointly with the Operations Senior Manager) the operations and budget of the department;
- Assist with CAPEX management;
- Comply with corporate governance and regulatory obligations.
MS degree in Chemical Engineering;
Minimum of 5-year of experience in a commercial DSP manufacturing;
Extensive knowledge of various chemical unit operations;
Experience in supervising plant employees for 24/7 operations;
Experience in plant commissioning and start up;
Experience in Integrated Management Systems (ISO9001, ISO14001);
Familiar with Food grade constraints and HACCP environment;
Six Sigma, 5S, Kaizen and TPM would be appreciated;
A strong understanding and experience in Health and Safety regulations and environmental regulations is required;
Strong team player, able to work in a fast paced dynamic environment;
A proven record of responsibility/accountability to meeting operating budgets, driving continuous improvement and change in a multi-disciplinary environment, and safety leadership;
Excellent time management capabilities, including the ability to prioritize diverse tasks within the overall context of a fast-moving project;
Experience in performance management and developing employee to maximize performance;
Excellent written and verbal communication and computer skills along with the ability to present clear and concise data;
Demonstrated ability to self-motivate, function independently and multi-task with minimal direction;
Proficient in the use of MS Office applications;
Ability to travel internationally.